- B.S in finance, concentration in risk management and insurance
- Analyze and communicate findings about complex financial issues.
- B.S in financial technology, actuarial science track
- Apply math and programming to the financial, risk management and actuarial disciplines.
- Minor in actuarial science
- Gain perspective through two core courses and a wide range of electives.
- Minor in risk management and insurance
- Gain perspective through four core courses and a wide range of electives.
About Our Program
The VCU Risk Management and Insurance Program is home to a nationally recognized program that prepares students for high-demand careers in risk management, financial services and other areas of the insurance industry.
Our students have access to:
- Networking — Attending VCU RMI events and career-enhancing meetings and conferences exposes students to networking opportunities with industry leaders and professionals.
- Scholarships — Through ongoing industry support, the RMI Program is able to offer significant scholarship funding each academic year.
- Internships — Paid and for-credit internships with industry employers are available to students to provide real world experience AND bolster resumes.
- Employment — Risk management insurance is a high-demand industry with 500,000 new jobs projected in the next five years.
Gamma Iota Sigma is the international business fraternity for students pursuing careers in insurance, risk management and actuarial science. Student leaders and faculty advisors work to provide career-focused events and trainings, exposing students to industry leaders. Active GIS students who are successful academically often graduate with multiple job offers in the industry.
Current students, please check out our GIS RamsConnect page here. Questions, email email@example.com.
The VCU RMI Program hosts numerous events throughout the year for both students and regional RMI industry professionals. If you are interested in attending an event, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The RMI Trends Talks are virtual, quarterly events designed to keep the RMI community engaged in regular dialogue about trends, issues, and current events impacting the industry.
- The Psychology of Money with Tom Gayner, Markel CEO and Morgan Housel, author, The Psychology of Money: February 16, 2023
- Spencer Foundation Risk Manager on Campus: March 20 - 21, 2023
Tracy Hwang, Director, Risk Management, Instacart
The VCU RMI Program has received a grant from the Spencer Foundation to participate in their Risk Manager on Campus Program. During her visit in March, Ms. Hwang will attend RMI classes, speak to Gamma Iota Sigma students, and speak to students, alumni, and industry partners at a premier luncheon event.
Drawn by the innovation that certain technology companies drive, Tracy Hwang moved to Silicon Valley to work in corporate risk and insurance at a variety of technology companies, including eBay, Uber, Postmates, and Instacart. Tracy is currently the Director, Risk Management at Instacart and leads the negotiation/ placement of the insurance program, M&A insurance, insurance policy and regulation, and certain strategic initiatives, such as the evaluation of a captive. Tracy serves on the North America Client Advisory Council for a leading global insurer and has been volunteering as a “Risk Manager on Campus” on behalf of the Spencer Foundation for several years.
We are thankful for industry partners who choose to participate in our Annual Program Sponsorship program. These sponsorships provide enriched experiences and valuable programming for students. Through these opportunities, valuable connections are created between our students and RMI-focused companies and organizations.
The RMI Program offers retirement planning seminars taught by outside industry professionals. Learn how to manage investment risks, use new tax laws to your advantage, make informed decisions about your company retirement plan and adjust your estate plan based on new laws. This course blends financial education with life planning to help you build wealth, align your money with your values and achieve your retirement lifestyle goals.
The RMI Advisory Council partners with the RMI Program to advance the quality and relevance of its educational efforts and bring practical real world experience to the program.
This outstanding group of risk management and insurance executives benefits RMI majors by providing advice on the quality and relevance of VCU educational and research programs, offering student internships and providing counsel for our webinars and other events. Members also lecture to classes and speak at student events. Please reach out to email@example.com if you are interested in serving on our Advisory Council.
The Around The Region newsletter is emailed every three weeks about events and career opportunities in the area. You may click the link to view it or click this link to subscribe to the newsletter.
Davis Radcliffe Insurance Award
Given annually to the student who exhibits strong character, scholastic achievement in insurance courses, and demonstrates an interest in a career in the insurance industry. This award is named for the late Davis Ratcliffe, a former insurance industry executive who established the insurance program at Virginia Commonwealth University in 1969.
Davis Radcliffe Insurance Award: John Eshler
Five years ago, John Eshler opened his own business; a mobile coffee company called GroundUp, while attending Reynolds Community College full-time. After earning his associate's degree, John chose to continue his education at Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU). He made the difficult decision to close GroundUp coffee to focus on his bachelor’s coursework.
Two momentous events occurred during his first semester— John became a father, and the COVID-19 pandemic struck. Around the same time, John accepted a remote underwriter technician position with Kinsale Insurance which later led to a full-time position. In December 2021 he graduated with a Bachelor of Science in finance degree with a concentration in risk management and insurance. When asked about his experience at VCU he says, “My time here has been great, but it's been a bit of a challenge due to COVID-19. Nevertheless, I was able to overcome those difficulties while maintaining a high GPA and being involved in organizations that I’m passionate about.” John is the immediate past president of Gamma Iota Sigma fraternity, and he currently works for Kinsale as an associate underwriter in the commercial property division.
Thanks to our corporate partners for generously providing scholarships, internships, jobs, and also their time participating in student enrichment events.
Becoming a part of the RMI program was one of the best decisions I have made.
-Alan Castillo, Associate Underwriter with James River Insurance Company, Class of 2016
Insurance is the backbone of the American economy. It is the key tool of risk management that helps to facilitate commerce.
-Kyle Samuel, CIC, Managing Director at USI Insurance Services