Department of Economics
VCU School of Business
301 W. Main Street
3rd floor, room B3153
P.O. Box 844000
Richmond, VA 23284-4000
Phone: (804) 828-1717
Fax: (804) 828-9103
Office Hours: M-F, 9:00 - 4:30
Closed on campus holidays
Internships provide valuable experience, income, academic credit, or some combination of these three benefits. Please contact the School of Business Career Services in Snead Hall, suite B1102, or call the Center at (804) 827-1801 to learn what internships are available and how to apply for them. A student may also find an internship directly from an employer.
Students may earn academic credit in ECON 493 Internship in Economics when the internship involves a significant amount of economic or data analysis. Registering for and completing the course involves five steps:
1. Discuss position with Department Chair to learn if it may qualify for ECON 493.
2. Fill out the application and submit it to the Department of Economics.
3. Contact the Undergraduate Studies in Business office to register for the class.
4. Submit a weekly summary of activities to the internship coordinators for the Department of Economics.
5. Make a presentation at the conclusion of the internship to the internship coordinators. The presentation will review the activities and identify the linkages the student observed between the activities and what he or she had learned in courses.