Risk and Insurance Studies Center
The VCU Risk and Insurance Studies Center is home to a nationally recognized program that prepares students for high-demand careers in risk management, financial services and other areas of the insurance industry. Opportunities include:
- Networking — Attending career-enhancing meetings and conferences will expose you to networking opportunities with industry leaders and professionals.
- Scholarships — Through ongoing industry support, we were able to offer $30,000 worth of scholarships in 2018-19 academic year.
- Internships — Paid and for-credit internships with industry employers are available to help bolster your resume.
- Employment — Risk management insurance is a high-demand industry with 500,000 new jobs projected in the next five years.
Gamma Iota Sigma
Gamma Iota Sigma is the international business fraternity for students pursuing careers in insurance, risk management and actuarial science.
Our faculty adviser works with chapter members on resume review, interview preparedness and finding internships, scholarships and full-time employment. Active GIS students who are successful academically often graduate with multiple job offers in the industry.
To apply, bring your completed application form and dues ($60 for a new member, $40 for renewal) to Snead Hall, Room B2170. Make checks payable to Gamma Iota Sigma. For more information, email email@example.com.
The 2020 VCU RISC Trends Conference will be held on March 10th, 2020. Mark your calendars!
This signature event examines the trends and emerging risks in the industry during a half-day format filled with intriguing speakers and topics. The conference is supported by major industry sponsors. Proceeds support the Risk Management and Insurance Studies program and fund student scholarships.
View the program schedule for the 14th Annual VCU RISC Trends Conference.
View photos from the 2019 RISC Trends Conference on VCU's School of Business Facebook page.
VCU RISC offers retirement-planning seminars taught by industry professionals. Class sizes are limited.
Retirement Planning Today
Learn how to manage investment risks, use new tax laws to your advantage, make informed decisions about your company retirement plan and adjust your estate plan based on new laws. This course blends financial education with life planning to help you build wealth, align your money with your values and achieve your retirement lifestyle goals.
Retirement Planning Today - Midlothian Classes in 2020
John Tyler Community College's Midlothian Campus
Eliades Hall – Room E201
800 Charter Colony Parkway
Midlothian, Virginia 23114
Retirement Planning Today - Glen Allen Classes in 2020
ECPI University (innsbrook)
4305 Cox Rd
Glen Allen, VA 23060
Rejuvenate Your Retirement
Courses covers all the key issues for retirees. You will discover new ways to stay mentally, physically and socially active as well as learn about important financial topics such as tax reduction planning, investment risk management, health care planning and estate planning. Above all you will discover how to apply this knowledge to help peruse a more active, healthy and financially secure lifestyle in retirement. This course will help you develop a personalized retirement income strategy and also show how to:
• Determine what percentage of your asset you must withdraw to meet expenses.
• Estimate how many years your money may last and make any adjustments needed to help your money last longer.
• Calculate the impact of investment choices, rate of return and inflation on your plan.
Wealth Creation Today
Wealth Creation Today® is an interactive, lecture-format adult financial education course for successful professionals ages 35-50. Few of us truly understand the enormous, ever-growing body of financial legislation that affects so much of our daily lives, especially when facing the pressure of saving for college or caring for an elderly parent. Wealth Creation Today® is a comprehensive, insightful approach to building the personalized tools and strategies necessary for a lifetime of informed financial decisions. Whether your objective is to grow your investments, protect your family, or maximize your employment benefits, this course will help you plan for the future with confidence.
Thanks to the generosity of our corporate partners, we’re able to bring you conferences, internships, scholarships and continuing education.
- Allianz Global Assistance
- Berkley Mid-Atlantic Group
- CPCU - Richmond Chapter
- Continental Underwriters
- The Hanover Insurance Group
- Independent Insurance Agents of VA (IIAV)
- James River Insurance
- Kinsale Insurance
- Markel Corporation
- Marsh & McLennan Agency
- Northern Neck Virginia Insurance
- PMA Companies
- Virginia Chapter - Risk & Insurance Management Society (RIMS)
- Willis Towers Watson
- VCU Health
- McGriff Insurance Services