At the VCU School of Business, you can select from two types of master’s degree programs: traditional or executive/professional. Each format has separate admissions requirements, which are outlined below. For a complete list of graduate admissions requirements, visit VCU Admissions.
We also invite you to attend an information session or Experience Day to learn more about our graduate programs.
To apply for more than one graduate program at the same time, including dual-degree admission, submit separate applications and fees for each program. Supplemental materials only need to be submitted once. Contact the Graduate Studies office if you plan to apply to multiple programs.
You may be able transfer a maximum of six semester hours of graduate credit toward your degree program. Acceptance of transfer credit hours is made on an individual basis. To qualify, the credit must have:
- Been earned in a degree program accredited by the AACSB International
- A grade of B or better
- Not been used to satisfy requirements for another degree program
Our executive programs allow you to earn a graduate degree with a convenient, alternate weekend format. Visit our program pages to learn more about how to apply to each:
Evening, Online and certificate
The following instructions pertain to specialized master's, graduate certificate, Evening MBA and Online MBA programs.
To apply, submit the VCU online application with all required supplemental materials, including:
- A $65 nonrefundable application fee
- Application for Virginia In-State Tuition (if applicable)
- Transcripts from each college/university attended
- A personal statement essay
- A GMAT or GRE score (either is accepted)
- A current resume
- Three letters of recommendation
- For international applicants: A TOEFL score of 100 or above; an IELTS score of 7.0 or above; OR a Pearson Test of English score of 68 or above
Online MBA applicants may be contacted for an online interview.
Prior to applying, you may submit your transcripts and resume for evaluation to determine which courses will be included or waived if you are admitted. The results of the transcript review are not an admissions decision. You will still need to apply to your chosen program. All international transcripts must be accompanied with a transcript evaluation from an NACES accredited service. The evaluation must be course by course, including letter grades and a cumulative grade point average (GPA) on the 4.0 scale.
All evening master's-level and doctoral business programs generally require a GMAT or a GRE score, with the following exceptions:
- Specialized master’s programs. The requirement for a GMAT or GRE score may be waived for candidates with an undergraduate or graduate degree from an accredited U.S. institution with a minimum GPA of 3.25. For consideration, email your transcripts and resume to Austen Gouldman at email@example.com. Specialized programs include:
Applications submitted without written permission of waiver or a GMAT or GRE score will not be reviewed.
GMAT code: LP8-QF-86
ETS code: 5570
All master’s and post-baccalaureate graduate certificate programs require a statement of purpose. We recommend a statement between one-and-a-half and two pages long, describing your accomplishments, goals and reasons for applying.
Master’s (including Evening MBA) and graduate certificate admissions deadlines are:
- Fall: July 1
- Spring: Nov. 1
- Summer (domestic applicants only): March 1
The Online MBA program offers fall admission only. The application deadline is June 1.
Tuition and aid
The total cost of your program will depend on your residency and enrollment status throughout the program. For more information about tuition and billing, visit Student Accounting.
Tuition and fees per semester
The current academic year estimate of tuition and fees for evening master's programs and graduate certificates are listed below. The Master of Supply Chain student fee is an additional $85 per credit hour.
- Full-time (9-15 credits): $6,816.50
- Part-time per credit hour (1-8 credits): $721 ($2,163 per 3-credit course)
- Full-time: $13,157.00
- Part-time per credit hour: $1,417 ($4,251 per 3-credit course)
School of Business fee (all students)
- Full-time: $402
- Part-time: $208
We offer a limited number of assistantships for graduate business students pursuing master's’ degrees each year. A master’s assistant must take at least nine credit hours per semester and is required to provide 20 hours of service per week to a department or office in the School of Business. Compensation will be $13/hour.
Spring and Summer 2017 applications are currently open for admitted and current students. To apply, complete the master’s assistantship application. A resume and cover letter are required.
The VCU Office of Financial Aid can connect you with federal, state, university and private resources that help make college affordable.