At the VCU School of Business, you can select from two types of master’s degree programs: traditional or executive/professional. Each format has separate admissions requirements, which are outlined below. For a complete list of graduate admissions requirements, visit VCU Admissions.
We also invite you to attend an information session or Experience Day to learn more about our graduate programs.
To apply for more than one graduate program at the same time, including dual-degree admission, submit separate applications and fees for each program. Supplemental materials only need to be submitted once. Contact the Graduate Studies office if you plan to apply to multiple programs.
You may be able to transfer in up to 30% of the graduate credit hours required toward your degree program. Acceptance of transfer credit hours is made on an individual basis. To qualify, the credit must have:
- Been earned in a degree program accredited by the AACSB International
- A grade of B or better
- Not been used to satisfy requirements for another degree program
Our executive programs allow you to earn a graduate degree with a convenient, alternate weekend format. Visit our program pages to learn more about how to apply to each:
Evening, Online and certificate
The following instructions pertain to specialized master's, graduate certificate, Evening MBA and Online MBA programs.
To apply, submit the VCU online application with all required supplemental materials, including:
- A $70 nonrefundable application fee
- Application for Virginia In-State Tuition (if applicable)
- Transcripts from each college/university attended
- International transcripts must be evaluated by a NACES accredited service. We require course by course evaluations, including letter grades and a cumulative grade point average (GPA) on the 4.0 scale.
- A statement of intent
- A GMAT or GRE score (either is accepted.) See below for waiver possiblities.
- A current resume
- Three letters of recommendation
- For international applicants: A TOEFL score of 100 or above; an IELTS score of 7.0 or above; OR a Pearson Test of English score of 68 or above
Online MBA applicants may be contacted for an online interview.
Graduate certificate in real estate applicants are not required to submit a GMAT or GRE score.
All evening master's-level and doctoral business programs generally require a GMAT or a GRE score, with the following exceptions:
- Online MBA and Evening MBA program applicants may request a GMAT/GRE waiver if they hold a regionally accredited degree with 3.0 GPA and at least 6 years of professional and progressive work experience. Complete the GMAT/GRE waiver request form.
- Specialized master’s programs. The requirement for a GMAT or GRE score may be waived for candidates with an undergraduate or graduate degree from an accredited U.S. institution with a minimum GPA of 3.25. Complete the GMAT/GRE waiver request form. Specialized programs include:
Applications submitted without written permission of waiver or a GMAT or GRE score will not be reviewed.
GMAT code: LP8-QF-86
ETS code: 5570
Statement of intent
All master’s and post-baccalaureate graduate certificate programs require a statement of intent. We recommend a statement between one-and-a-half and two pages long, describing your accomplishments, goals and reasons for applying.
Master’s (including Evening MBA) and graduate certificate admissions deadlines are:
- Fall: July 1
- Spring: Nov. 1
- Summer (domestic applicants only): March 1
The Online MBA program offers fall admission only. The application deadline is June 1. Applications will be considered after June 1 based on availability.
Tuition and aid
The total cost of your program will depend on your residency and enrollment status throughout the program. For more information about tuition and billing, visit Student Accounting.
Tuition and fees per semester
The 2019-2020 academic year estimate of tuition and fees for evening master's programs and graduate certificates are listed below. The Master of Supply Chain student fee is an additional $85 per credit hour.
- Full-time (9-15 credits): $7,543.00
- Part-time per credit hour (1-8 credits): $799 ($2,397 per 3-credit course)
- Full-time: $14,542.00
- Part-time per credit hour: $1,568 ($4,704 per 3-credit course)
School of Business fee (all students)
- Full-time: $450
- Part-time: $233
We offer a limited number of assistantships for graduate business students pursuing master's’ degrees each year. A master’s assistant must take at least nine credit hours per semester and is required to provide 20 hours of service per week to a department or office in the School of Business. Compensation will be $13/hour.
Fall 2018 applications are currently open for admitted and current students. To apply, complete the master’s assistantship application. A resume and cover letter are required.
The VCU Office of Financial Aid can connect you with federal, state, university and private resources that help make college affordable.