We Help Students Graduate as Professionals with a Degree...and a Job
VCU's School of Business Career Services is dedicated to assisting Business students in defining and attaining career goals. We recognize the need for differentiation in today's competitive job market, and provide tools to help students develop and showcase their skills and experience. In addition to receiving a business education from a quality school, we help students graduate as professionals with a degree...and a job.
Located in the same building as the School of Business, students have easy access to a broad spectrum of services and resources.
- Professional Career Counselors offer on-site 1:1 career counseling and advising.
Career Development Planning
- In partnership with your Career Counselor, each student prepares a Career Development Plan, where objectives and actions are defined to help reach the target goal of obtaining a full-time job by December of graduation year.
- We recommend that undergraduate students complete at least 1 - 2 internships before graduation. Internships can be completed during a summer or semester. Best resources for finding an internship/co-op? Be sure to visit the on-line recruiting system, HireVCURams, and stay in contact with your Career Counselor!
- Also take a look at Internships.com. Internships.com works with hundreds of university career centers and thousands of students globally to assist in all internships needs. Their philosophy, tools and services focus ONLY on internships.
- As a junior you'll be able to differientiate yourself from competing job-seekers by attending an etiquette dinner where you'll learn proper dining skills and protocol for professional-social settings. You'll be able to dine with members of faculty and representatives from local employers. Not only will the evening be an event to remember, the newly-learned skills will allow you to confidently and comfortably dine at ease as you enter the workforce and encounter professional-social dining events.
- Learn how to create a powerful resume that reflects your skills, abilities and experience by participating in resume development workshops. Also, don't forget your Career Counselor. As a counseling professional, your Career Counselor can provide insight into what recruiters are looking for as well as individualized assistance to help you craft your best resume.
Interview Preparation and Mock Interviews
- The mock interview program is designed to develop your interviewing skills through practical, “no-risk” interviewing. You’ll receive feedback on how well you interviewed, along with suggestions on how to further develop your skills. Walk away with a completed feedback form to help remind you of those development areas as well as possible resources. Maximize what you do with the feedback by having a dialog with your Career Counselor to review the experience and get additional resources.
- Additional experience can be gained through Interview Stream, a computer program that allows you to record and self-critique practice interviews.
- Further develop your interviewing skills by participating in interview workshops and preparation sessions for upcoming career fairs.
Employer Exposure Opportunities
- The School of Business Career Services collaborates with many employers to cultivate opportunities for you to showcase your skills and experience. Be sure to review the current semester calendar for upcoming events.
- Employer Information Sessions provide opportunities to learn what it's like to work for various employers and interact with company representatives.
- Multiple Career Fairs and Employer Showcases (mini-career fairs) are conducted throughout each school year.
- The on-line recruiting system, HireVCURams, is the web-based job search portal for VCU students. A valuable career-focused tool available at your fingertips, this is where you can search for internships, co-ops, full-time and part-time jobs. Search the Calendar feature for upcoming events such as workshops, career fairs, information sessions and more.
- Now that you've crafted your best resume, refined your interview skills and have secured an interview, enjoy the ease and convenience of interviewing right here at Snead Hall. Many employers partner with the School of Business Career Services and the University Career Center to conduct on-campus interviews, allowing you to easily balance student life and your job-hunting efforts.